There are several benefits to ordering a half or a whole beef which include:
- Save money compared to purchasing at the open rate.
- Have your beef cut to your specifications.
- Reduce energy consumption by combining multiple deliveries into one delivery.
- Half: $3.50 per pound based on the hanging weight.
- Whole: $3.30 per pound based on the hanging weight.
- These prices include processing and delivery within York or Chester counties, SC. (The hanging weight is the weight of the carcass as it hangs in the cooler at the processor. The weight of the actual packaged cuts will be approximately half of the hanging weight due to moisture loss during aging and bone loss during processing.) This article explains dressing percentages in greater detail.
- Contact us if your're considering a half or whole beef. We'll let you know the availability and how long it will be until we're ready to process.
- Next, decide how you would like it to be cut up.
- We require a $100 deposit when you give us your cutting instructions. This deposit will be subtracted from your total.
- Cutting instructions must be finalized and deposit made at least 1 month prior to your processing date. (This gives us time to make an effort to find another customer for your order should you not be able to take it at that time.)
- Once your beef has aged 2-3 weeks the butcher will cut it up, and we will deliver it to you (within York and Chester counties).
What to Expect
- Hanging weights range from 600 to 850 pounds.
- You can expect to receive 50-63% of the hanging weight in packaged, ready-to-cook beef. For a 650-pound steer, this translates to somewhere between 325 to about 400 pounds of packaged beef. See the two examples below for more information on this.
- Buying a whole beef can save as much as $700 compared to purchasing the same amount at our retail prices.
- Orders will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Example Steer (Large)
Live weight: 1,150 pounds
Hanging/carcass/dressed weight: 700 pounds
Pounds of Individual Cuts:
Ground Beef 156.68
Ground Sirloin 33.39
Rib Eye 13.99
Chuck Roast 29.23
NY Strip 12.05
Cubed Steak 23.66
Stew Meat 31.80
Top Round 19.25
Price at retail rate = $2,663.31
Price at $3.30 per hanging pound: 700 x $3.30 = $2,310.00
Total weight of packaged cuts: 361.80 pounds
$2,310.00 / 361.80 = $6.38 per pound (Average cost per pound)
Here is a link to a spreadsheet showing the cuts we received from a half of another steer with a full hanging weight of 654 pounds (327-pound half).